Shriveled Jack in the Pulpit plants

Most of my JIP’s are very happy and 2 feet tall. They are beginning to lose the bloom now, but noticed a couple with shriveled leaves that are darker and have holes in them. They kind of look like they got to close to a fire but are in the middle of my flower bed. You can see the JIP next to it is perfectly healthy.

Hennepin County Minnesota plant disease native plants jack in the pulpit

Thank you for the question. Jack in the Pulpit is relatively disease free but may sometimes be affected by rust, and other fungal leaf diseases. I can't tell exactly what the problem is with your plant but general advice with these types of diseases are to focus on sanitation (removing diseased plants and plant debris), limiting overhead watering and promoting good air circulation to reduce the incidence of leaf disease. If you want to find out exactly what the problem is, you can send a sample to the University of Minnesota Plant Disease Clinic. Here's their website: http://pdc.umn.edu/

Thank you for contacting Extension.