Will Virginia Creeper Kill My Thujas?

Hello, I discovered Virginia creeper growing up my thujas. The thujas were 8-10 ft when planted 4 years ago and are all very large and healthy now. The Virginia creeper is growing up from the woods behind my house into the thujas that are planted in a row as a border between my yard and the woods. 1. Will the Virginia creeper kill my thujas? 2. If so, can I wait until winter when the vines die back to kill/remove them or will that be too late? 3. How does one get rid of the Virginia creeper permanently since it is coming from woods on property I do not own? It is very lush and thick and I wouldn't mind it if it were not in my trees! Thank you so much for your help.

Howard County Maryland virginia creeper vine thujas

This is a native deciduous, woody vine. We would recommend that you remove the Virginia Creeper from the trunk because as it grows it can deny photosynthesis to the foliage on the branches and hold moisture to the trunk area. http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/virginia-creeper

You can cut the vine at the base. The rest of the vine will dry up and die, at which time it can be more easily pulled out of the trees.
If you want, it is fine to leave the vine growing around the base of the tree.