Planting bulbs

Just how much soil does one need in the bottom of a pot when planting daffodils and tulips in the fall for spring blooming? I work I work with a local non-profit. As a fundraiser we plant tulip and daffodil bulbs in the fall and sell them in the spring. My question for now is how deep of a pot do we need for these bulbs. We generally put 5 bulbs in a pot. This past fall we planted 100 pots and will probably do so again this year. The pots we currently use we get free from Fred Meyer. They are 10" deep and 10" wide. I am thinking the of all the extra soil we use to fill these deep pots would be pretty close to the price of a less deep, more decorative pot. I do know these pots are very full of roots from the bulbs. We plant these bulbs in October and just leave them outside over the winter. We do not have a greenhouse. Perhaps there is a better way? Any tips and or information you might give me would be greatly appreciated. Could we possibly get by with a more decorative pot say 5" deep? Many Thanks, Patty

Tillamook County Oregon

Depth of Daffodils and Tulips for a 10-inch pot would be 6-8 inches deep. In a 10-inch deep pot you would have about 2-4 inches from the top of your pots. If you used a smaller pot there is a risk the new roots from the bulbs would push the bulbs above the ground. Also, there would be a loss of insulation from the soil and a risk of freezing, since you maintain the pots outside all winter. The container you are using 10X10 should hold about 2 gallons of soil, if you used the same depth 10 inches but smaller around you might save ½ gallon of soil. The cost savings would be about 50 cents. The cost savings would probably not be worth the 2 risks described above. Money saving tips: Mixing your own potting soil using 2 parts sterile soil, 1part commercial compost and 1part vermiculite or perlite. Use only one type bulb, all daffodils. See if the pots are more or less than the cost of the soil and make an appropriate change with Fred Meyers if the soil costs more.

The following is a reference for planting Daffodils:https://daffodilusa.org/growing-daffodils/growing-daffodils-in-pots/