Something's Eating My Impatiens Flowers

Hi, I've noticed that the flowers of my impatiens are being eaten. The plants look healthy otherwise. I've looked for pests but don't see aphids, or any other obvious insects. These are planted in elevated planter boxes filled with potting soil. Can you please help my identify what kinds of pests I should look for?

Hennepin County Minnesota insect pests impatiens

Thank you for the question. The damage I see on the red bloom looks old and could be from hard rain or hail or from an insect that does it's damage by chewing instead of piercing and sucking. The plants look good so new blooms should be fine. If you suspect insect vs. weather damage, thoroughly scout your plants. Look under the leaves, at the soil, even look at night to see what you might find because that's when pests like slugs are busy. In the meantime, check out this publication from University of Ohio on common insect pests of bedding plants to get an idea of what you're looking for. https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/ENT-65
Good luck and thank you for contacting Extension.