need an arborist consult

I am a homeowner in PG county (Hyattsville,MD). I have a large tree that is in my yard but close to my home and I have been told by tree-cutting company that I need to have it removed. In the interest of energy and environmental conservation I am most reluctant to do this and a little skeptical since this recommendation is coming from a tree cutting company which would stand to benefit from my business. I am seeking an un-biased, conservation based second opinion. Does your office or any office in the county or state have any resources that I might be able to utilize? Thank you in advance for your help.

Prince George's County Maryland arborist trees

We appreciate your concern and interest in conserving the tree. Do you know what kind of tree it is? Could it be an ash tree? Many ashes are dying from the invasive emerald ash borer and these trees become very brittle and hazardous when they die. In some communities, ashes were used as street trees and they are now being taken out where there may be a threat to people/property. We could help you identify the tree if you send us clear photos of leaves, branches, and bark. We do not make site visits to do tree assessments. Your best bet would be to contact a certified arborist and have them do an assessment of the tree's health. They can advise you as to whether the tree needs to come down. You can find a certified arborist using the following website managed by the arborist association: http://www.treesaregood.org/
Is the tree in the public right-of-way and maintained by your county, or is it on your private property? You could contact your county's Department of the Environment to see if they offer any assistance. https://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov/512/Plant-Trees.

ckc

Oh, Im sorry. I did not make it clear. the tree is not dying. the roots are growing too big and close to the house. I have been told that it needs to be removed but am looking for alternatives....maybe trimming, or any way to limit/stop the growth of the roots. It is on private property and I think it's an elm. I will take picture and send over the weekend.

The tree might not need to come down then. We recommend that you consult with a certified arborist about pruning. When you cut roots, it impairs a tree's ability to take up water and nutrients, which will impact the health of the tree. Root pruning can be done, but it should be done by a professional and may need to be done a portion at a time to allow the tree to recover. It would be best to have an arborist assess the situation on site and make recommendations for you.

ckc