What’s wrong with my hydrangea?

I have 6 hydergea plants, 5 of them look great and the 2 I expected to bloom this year have but 1 of them has since taken a turn. The leaves have been rather pale ever since they grew out this season but it was still growing and even bloomed so I wasn’t to worried. But now the leaves are starting to look wilted. I’ve moved it into a more shaded spot where some of my other hydergea are at and doing well. I made sure the pot was still draining off excess water and that it wasn’t dried out but it just doesn’t seem to be helping. Anyone have any tips? I’m relitlvly new to these plants and don’t want to hurt it more trying to help it.

Tehama County California hydrangeas

Thank you for your question. Your plant shows symptoms of what is called intervenal chlorosis, which is a nutritional deficit explained in this Extension article: https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/iron-chlorosis/ First, you’ll need to test the soil around the plant for its soil pH. Then, you’ll need to adjust the pH by using sulfur. You can also try to apply a foliar chelated iron application. Is there a possibility of transplanting the shrub into clay soil which has been amended with compost? This is typically an acidic medium in the pH range hydrangeas need. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!