yellow stem on young apples, then fruit falls off tree

Young apples (red delicious and Gala) are developing a yellow stem and fall from tree. Young fruit is 3/8 inch in diameter. I have a drip watering system and water M-W-F for 30 mins. Rockrimmon Subdivision in Colorado Springs (6650 feet altitude). Is this a mineral defficiency?

El Paso County Colorado trees and shrubs

Thank you for your question. The first link discusses nutrient deficiencies. I recommend you review the details to try and determine if the issue is a nutrient deficiency. Note - you may wish to have soil testing done to confirm a nutrient deficiency. A kit is available through the Colorado State University Extension in El Paso County (second link).

The third link discusses possible causes of premature fruit drop. Multiple reasons are given for premature fruit drop.

I regret I am unable to provide a definitive response.

Young apple stems turn yellow and fall from the tree.

I called Michigan State Univ. Extension and found 2 reasons: 1. inadequate pollinator tree in which case the young apples will not have seeds. and 2. Seven insecticide causes young apples to drop --- I am GUILTY; THE YOUNG FRUIT WILL HAVE SEEDS IN THIS CASE.

Thank you for the follow-up. It is obvious to me that you are very knowledgeable about fruit trees. I applaud your efforts. I think successfully growing trees (other than natives) in our area is difficult.