Trees affected

Upon visiting a site I will potentially be working on, I noticed some problems with the Red Maples and another species (I am rusty on trees, I've spent all my time in interior landscaping the past few years!) I am unsure if the issues observed are from environmental damage or if they are from pathogenic damage. I know the pictures aren't the best, but any insight (and species ID of the non-red maple) would be much appreciated.

Howard County Maryland invasive abiotic issues trees eab pest insects and mites

There are likely multiple issues going on with these trees.
First off, that is a tough area with limited root space surrounded by hot asphalt. It is evident that they were planted too deeply- notice that there is no root flare showing. The tree looks like a telephone pole going into the ground instead of having a gentle swell at the base. This can kill trees slowly over time. It's likely they may not have been watered or cared for during establishment either.
Stressed and failing tree can lead to other problems as well.

We would guess the non-maple is Ash. They are being wiped out by the invasive Emerald Ash Borer. You can see the serpentine galleries under the split bark on your last photo.
Here is our page about this damaging pest: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/invasives/emerald-ash-borer