I had to have my River Birch Tree trimmed this past weekend, June 3rd, 2018

Hello, my river birch tree had branches hanging down in the sidewalk area and on my porch, I had someone trim it back just to get those long branches off of the walkway and porch. Did I harm my tree by trimming it now? It is a mature tree, very large, probably about 25 years old. I couldn't afford to have a tree company trim my tree this past fall and now I had to do it for safety reasons. I sure hope I didn't harm it or cause it to get infected with insects. Thank you, Nancy

Stearns County Minnesota

Unless you removed more than 25% of the tree branches, your tree should be fine. Some people prefer to trim river birches after they have leafed out because earlier can result in sap flowing out. There is a small risk that insects will attack the tree; so be on the lookout for insect damage. River birch continue to grow all summer so give it plenty of water and it should be able to heal.