poisonous mushroom outbreak

Hi, Last year a part of my yard near the back fence hosted a large crop of white mushrooms. They look just like button mushrooms, but I did some internet scouting and I think they may be the death cap mushroom, Amanita phalloides, which is invasive and extremely poisonous. I think they grow there because the neighbor's conifer branches hang over the fence and I understand these mushrooms like the soil chemistry there. My question is: How can I keep these mushrooms from producing fruiting bodies? I know I probably can't eliminate their presence in the subsoil, but I'd like to make sure no kids or pets or birds or possums or whatever makes a big mistake. I am trying to slowly amend the soil in that area and plant some ground cover and shade loving perennials, which I'm hoping might discourage them a bit. Many thanks-- Valerie Brown

Lane County Oregon

Greetings,

I don't have any suggestions for keeping the fruitbodies away other than poisoning the soil. If you have photos, send them on and maybe I would be able to tell whether or not they are poisonous.