What kind of bug is this?

Hello, I found many of this kind of bug on a miniature rose plant. A few of the bugs were on the buds, but most were on the greenery. The greenery looks ok but the buds don't. The older bugs seem to be attached to the plant at the front of their body, it reminded me of a leech. What kind of bug is this and what do I do to get rid of them? I took them off the small rose plant, put them in a plastic sealable bag, squished them and threw the bag away. I noticed one bug on a large rose plant about 25 yards away. Side note: We have alot of aphids this year. Thank you for all you do.

Washington County Oregon insect identification lady beetle larvae asian lady beetles

Good news! Your mystery insect is the larva (youngster) of a lady beetle. The life stage which resembles a leech is a non-feeding stage which occurs just before the adult lady beetle emerges. Both adult and immature lady beetles help limit aphids.

Many different species of lady beetles exist. Yours may, or may not, be the “Convergent lady beetle” as shown here - http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/NE/convergent_lady_beetle.html.