Beekeeping

Hello, I just attended a beekeeping conference with my sister, she has about 12 acres and is going to begin beekeeping on her property in Boston, KY. My question : Am I allowed to have a backyard hive? I live in Woodland Hills in Middletown KY. I have done a great deal of research and now I am beginning to determine if this is possible in the "city." It is my understanding that it is possible but I need to know more about the law.

Jefferson County Kentucky bees beekeeping

Many people keep bees in the city. You may want to check if there are any ordinances about beekeeping within city limits. Most of the time, there aren't any restrictions.

However, you want to be a good neighbor and let your neighbors know. Especially if they have a pool or family members who are highly allergic.

To put neighbors' minds at ease, educate them on the benefits of honeybees. Since you have 12 acres, just be smart about where you site the hive boxes. Seems like you'd have plenty of room to not cause issues with neighbors.

Pools can be an issue as bees will forage for water on pool edges when it gets hot and dry.

As an example, I keep my hives within 50' of the back play area of a church where kids are out on Wednesdays and Sundays. I've never had them complain about bees bothering them. I live in the county but I know several beekeepers who live within the city limits.

And maybe give the neighbors a jar of honey.

Hope this helps.