Maple tree root rot

I had to cut down a dying maple tree. When I removed the stump I found the majority of the roots had rotted and there was some type of white fungus on them. The roots that I left are getting this mold/fungus on them too. I would like to plant a Redbud tree in the same location, will this also affect the Redbud? How can I kill this fungus. The fungus is white and seems to start growing in individual circles. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Caroline County Maryland plant care maple tree fungus on rotting stump fungus on rotting tree roots replanting after tree died

The fungus that decomposes wood is not the same type of fungus that lives on live wood and kills trees. It's impossible to say what killed the tree, but this white fungus would not be it if it is breaking down already dead wood. You don't need to kill the fungus, it's just doing its part in the decomposing of dead plants into organic matter that enriches the soil.

Most fungi (and insect pests) are specialists and what would attack a maple will usually not also attack a redbud.

You are safe to plant a redbud there.

Thank you for the quick response and helpful information.