High Lake Level

My name is Dawn Holzer and I live in a private Association community in Farwell Michigan. I was referred to you with my question about the high water level this year on what of our lakes. The water level on this lake is about 5 ft about it's original past this year and it seems to continue to rise. We did have 5 large beaver relocated and we think that maybe they opened some springs or an artician well with their past activity. This lake does not have an outlet however, a tile under the road was installed years ago by the County drain commission to help the overflow of another lake near us. That tile is not high. Thank you for your time

Clare County Michigan

Hello, Dawn!

Many Michigan lakes are experiencing unusually high water levels this spring, due to lots of spring snowmelt and rain. That's likely the cause of the high water in your lake, too. Without an outlet, the level will be slow to return to normal. Without being familiar with the hydrology (physical characteristics) of your lake, it's hard for me to say whether beaver activity has contributed to the current high water level - it's possible.

Thank You Jo L. Can you tell me who may be able to help us out of the Clare County Extension. Maybe someone could come out and take a look and get some facts to put data together about our lake's high level.

There are no lake experts that work out of the Clare County office (we only have a few for the entire state). You may have more luck contacting your local DNR Customer Service Center.