voles

What do you recommend to keep voles out of a herb and vegetable garden? My property is surrounded by a woods in which there are voles. I have found small holes in the midst of a group of oregano which I believe were made by voles? The holes go to the place where roots and stems meet. This is where voles often feed on young plants. The garden is surrounded by a wire mesh fence the is about 15 inches high but only extends about 4 inches below ground so I think that voles mus be going over or under it. I do not think squirrels would dig holes like this. What should I do to keep the voles out?

Charles County Maryland wildlife pest voles voles in vegetable garden fencing not keeping out voles

Unless you want to sink your fence deeper, we'd recommend that you use baited mouse traps. Place several. Put them right at the entrance to the tunnel, bait facing the hole. Here is control info: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/voles Look at the links, too.

If tunnels are vertical, that would indicate chipmunks, not voles, whose tunnels enter the ground at a slant.