Groundhog

A groundhog really damaged my plants last year. One of the access holes to the burrow is in the middle of my garden, but I don't know the location of the back door. I have heard that the best way to convince a groundhog to relocate is to stuff ammonia-soaked rags down the hole and cover up the opening with soil. - Should I use this method for getting rid of the groundhog? If so, is this a good time to use the ammonia-soaked rags? - If there is a better way to get rid of a groundhog, what is it? Thanks for your help.

Baltimore County Maryland wildlife groundhogs

There are no easy answers when it comes to wildlife.
Ammonia soaked rags stuffed in holes are not effective. The groundhogs usually come back. There is anecdotal evidence that an electric fence can be effective. You may also have to consider trapping.
Contact the Nuisance Wildlife Information Line at 1-877-463-6497 for more information on dealing with nuisance wildllife. They should point you in the right direction 1-877-463-6497.
Here is more information on groundhogs http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/groundhogs