Healthy American Elm

I believe there is a large American elm in my backyard and it appears to be healthy. There are plenty of dead elms on my property. Do you think this one has avoided DED?

Genesee County Michigan dutch elm disease elm trees

The MSUE website has a great article on the return of the American Elm (Ulmus Americans) on their website: http://www.msue.anr.msu.edu. “Return of the American Elm”. Currently MSU is undergoing evaluation trials with Purdue and Ohio State on a number of elms developed to resist the incursions of the elm bark beetle that carries the disease in its salvia for want of a better term. And, yes, some American Elms across the country managed to escape the initial ravages of the disease known as Ophiostoma ulmi or DED as you referred to in your question. However the beetle is still around and is still involved in its predations. You might want to consult with an Arborist in your area to see how much treatment would cost. You might also want to balance the cost of that against how much it would cost for tree removal in your area should your tree suddenly dies. Dead tree vs tree treatment = ??? Thank you for using the Ask an Expert System