Non fruit bearing flowering tree

I am trying to find the right tree to plant in memory of my mom. We live in Lakewood, CO. The area that I would like to plant it in gets full sun. I would like a tree that flowers in the spring and has nice color to the leaves in the fall. Is there a crab apple tree that does not produce fruit or a plum tree. I do like the pink/ purple blooms of a crabapple or plum tree and I like the purple color leaves.

Jefferson County Colorado trees and shrubs

Here are a couple of suggestions and a link to a CSU publication on crabapple. Another option is to contact a good nursery in your area and ask them for suggestions. If you select a local source (not a box store) you should get good suggestions.

Malus prairie fire

Its showy, dark pink to red flowers are what draw most people to the prairifire flowering crabapple. And for good reason. The stunning, long-lasting spring blossoms are a sight to behold. But this variety also offer year-round beauty with its changing leaf color. Glossy maroon or purplish-red in spring, the leaves become dark green with purplish-red veins in the summer then a beautiful bronze color in autumn.

Newport Purple Leaf Plum

A pink gem! This early blooming ornamental plum welcomes the spring with fragrant pink flowers. Beautiful reddish-purple foliage holds its color all summer long. This is a small tree, growing 15 ft., with a similar width. Plant in full sun for the best display of blooms.

http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/flowering-crabapple-trees-7-424/

ORNAMENTAL CRABAPPLE – PERFECT PURPLE

Single, deep pink blossoms are followed by persistent red fruit, providing food for birds in winter. Small rounded tree with a globe-shaped crown displaying bright, dark purple foliage. Hardy to -30 F. Maximum
Elevation: 7,000 feet.