Bloomerang transplant

Good morning. I have a four year old bloomerang that I would like to dig up and transplant so it can get more sunlight. When is the best time to do this? Also, can I prune back the bush quiet a bit to help in the transfer so it's not so large. It's about 5 feet tall and 7 8 feet wide.

Peoria County Illinois trees and shrubs

Yes you can prune it back to move it. Remove some of the bigger stems all the way down and trim back maybe a third of the way on the rest. Your big problem is moving the root ball without it falling apart. When a plant this size is moved by professionals they preserve the root ball by a wire and burlap. If the root ball breaks apart it will sever even larger roots. You will have to use materials similar to this to tightly hold the root ball intact while you move it. The best time to do move plants is while they are dormant in early spring and when they are not subject to hot conditions. If you do go ahead and move it now make sure you water the plant well a couple days before moving it. In this heat keep the plant watered by allowing a hose to slowly trickle down into the root ball. You will need to keep this up during hot dry conditions through the summer.