Bugs (gnats?) in the soil I used for my indoor herbs

Hello, I bought a bag of soil from Menard’s a few weeks ago that said it was for indoor plants and herbs (I’m currently looking for the receipt to figure out exactly which one). About a week later, I finally opened it to pot my herbs I’m teying to grow indoors. When I opened it, little gnats (I think that’s what they are, small with longe/oblong bodies) where at the top of the bag and many came out. When I thought about it, that week before opening it, the same bugs as been flying around my apartment since I purchased the bag and brought it up. I still used the soil not thinking I couldn’t because the bag specifically stated the soil was for indoor containers and pots. Now, the flies are every where. I keep trying to find ways to get rid of them, spraying them down in my shower (but now I learned that if it is the gnats, they love the moisture I keep putting in the soil), and I tried setting apple cider vinegar out but they don’t seem attracted to it. I’m not sure what to do now, I have some healthy succulents and hanging pothos inside that I don’t want infested, and I had also used some of that remaining soil to plant some tomatoes and peppers in my outdoor containers. Please help! Desperate new container gardener, Julie MacKay jlmackay27@gmail.com Cell: 612-443-1777

Hennepin County Minnesota gnats potting soil horticulture

Without a picture I can not comment on what insect is involved. The link below is for fungus gnats. Some suggestions include: 1. Remove the bag to an outside location. 2. Take the infested plants outside, inspect them for signs of decay, remove decayed sections, repot in clean dry soil. (This removes most of the larvae) 3. Do not overwater as this creates ideal conditions for reproduction. 4. Get one of the products in the website below to treat any remaining adult gnats. See: https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/fungus-gnats/