Lemon Tree Flowering

I grew a lemon tree from seed. It's been 5 years now and my tree has not produced flowers at all. I was wondering when lemon trees usually start flowering and how I can start the process. I keep my lemon tree outside from may to around october and bring it inside.

Essex County Massachusetts

Hi,

When a plant would be mature enough to produce fruit really depends on the plant species and its growing conditions. Lemon trees can be cultivated outside in our southern states, like Florida or California in areas where it rarely freezes. I suspect your plant would have to be 10 years old or more for it to become mature enough to bear fruit. It also would be quite sizeable - Logee's greenhouse in Danielson, CT has one that is about 8 feet tall and wide last I was there. Another thing to figure in is whether or not a pollinating insect would be necessary or could you hand-pollinate. Some plants are self fertile but others need a different variety for cross pollination to occur. Perhaps you could find someone at the University of Florida Extension who could give you more specifics for growing lemons. It is fun to grow houseplants from seed but you may be more likely to get lemons from a dwarf variety that you could purchase via mail or at Logees or a similar place than just growing a chance seedling. I think the cultivated varieties down south are not started from seed, but rather grafted, like our apple trees are.