Help. Yellow jackets!

Two areas of my garden have been taken over by yellow jackets. I have been too nervous to try and get a picture but I am 90% sure they are yellow jackets. Workers to be precise. I thought they were ground nesting bees at first, but the yellow and black bands gave them away. I haven’t been able to do much work in one area because they are always around, and I find it difficult to work there in the evening when they are chill. Is there anything non harmful to bees that I can use? Or should I start it all on fire and begin anew? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Ramsey County Minnesota yellow jackets horticulture

We usually think of yellow jackets as beneficial - they feed on undesirable insects. However, they are a nuisance when they are around areas in which we live and work. Also, they are very protective of their nest. If their nest is located near where you want to work, you will have to eradicate them. Sprays are not helpful. Dusts and powders are effective, but must be used at the site of the nest. Do this in the early morning or late evening when they are less active. Wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt with the cuffs tied down.

If you are not comfortable doing this as a DIY project, call a professional exterminator.

Read here:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/wasp-and-bee-control/