hail damage

hail damage on autumn blaze maples.There are a lot of dead branches on the west side of three trees.Are these trees able to be saved and how do I save them?Can I trim all the dead wood out? I noticed there a lot of little bumps on the leaves also.

Washington County Minnesota maple trees hail damage horticulture

I would suggest you have a certified arborist make a house call. They can remove branches that are dead and shape your trees. Hail will not kill your tree but you will see scars on the branches. They are surface injuries. Without photos to examine, I can only guess the lumps on the leaves of your tree are probably galls. They are caused by midges (small insects) that have laid eggs on the leaves. It is cosmetic but does not cause damage to your tree. They is nothing you could do to prevent it. Some years there are a lot of galls. Other years none or very few. You can find an arborist for your area by visiting this web site and clicking on Find an Arborist. You can put in your zip code to narrow down the search: http://www.treesaregood.org/