Hi, I live in Gahanna. I have a brick garage with shutters. Bats live behind...

Hi, I live in Gahanna. I have a brick garage with shutters. Bats live behind one of the shutters. I love my bats. I need to paint the shutters though. I don't want to disturb the bats during the day. I don't know when they mate or if there are females or anything. I was guessing if I painted the shutter after sundown I'd make the smallest impact. Do you know when bats have babies and how long they stay in the roost before they can fly? Do you have a different idea for painting the shutter?

Franklin County Ohio

Bats give birth in May or June and the babies (pups) are weaned and ready to fly within 4-6 weeks, so you should avoid doing any work during late spring through mid-summer. It would be helpful to identify what species of bat you have to get a better idea of their behavior. The fact sheet linked below has further information on bats and the white-nose syndrome that is threatening our bat populations.

For further advice, I recommend contacting Marne Titchenell with OSU's College of Food, Ag and Environmental Sciences.

Wildlife Program Specialist
School of Environment and Natural Resources
Office Phone:
614-292-0402

https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/W-22