Landscaping issue

Asked May 17, 2018, 10:57 AM EDT

Hello, I live in Middle River (Bowley's Quarters) right next to a Critical Bay area. My property sits on the corner of an intersection and I am in a bit of a dilemma. The county road is higher than my property in one area and my neighbor's home was built up on a hill, which leads to heavy pooling of water in my yard during moderate to heavy rains. This year, I would like to do something about it because the soil erosion is getting out of control. My idea is to work on amending the soil and to plant a few rain gardens in the areas where the pooling is the worst. The issue is that all of the drainage issues are on the side of my home closest to the Critical Bay area and I do not want to divert more of the sediment roll-off into this area. Is there any guidance you can provide? Thank you!

Baltimore County Maryland

3 Responses

Erosion/drainage can be a complicated issue to solve. Here is some information. First, you may want to contact Soil Conservation in your County for more information
Also, look at the attached link on storm water management. Depending upon the site you may be able to install a rain garden and other practices

Finally, contact the Watershed Specialist in your county, Krisztian Varsa, 410-771-1761,


Thank you!