Alternatives to Round Up

Please tell me a more appropriate concoction to use instead of spraying Round-Up on weeds in my gravel and those that are emerging around the pavement stones.

Clackamas County Oregon

Hello there!

Roundup is actually a good choice for this kind of need, but it won't prevent new weeds from popping up. If used, be sure to read and follow the label directions.

When you say "concoction" - I think you may be hoping for a mix of household products like salt and soap, or something similar. Pinterest is full of these recipes, but we can cause more damage to the soil and bystanders by mixing up untested concoctions. You may have heard the term, "salt the earth." I recommend using tested products with tested use directions and safety precautions on the label.

You might consider looking at your local garden/hardware store for a pre-emergent herbicide for your driveway and sidewalk cracks. A pre-emergent product would prevent new weeds from germinating in those areas. There are a wide range of products available.

Some companies have purchased devices that burn the weeds, literally, with fire. They are like miniature flame-throwers. There may be someone in your area offering that service.

Please feel free to ask follow-up questions. All the best!