Old dogwood tree, long competition with a big holly and over topped by a black walnut

I am newly renting a house and want to do what I can for the big old dogwood in the backyard. The holly tree was removed in the somewhat recent past. Where the dogwood was crowded by the encroaching holly there are a multitude of sprouts with several leaves all along the trunk. Do I let them all grow? Or should they be cut off? Would a photo assist in answering this?

Multnomah County Oregon

Yes, a photo would help, but the tree may be reacting to the lack of protection. It's probably okay to let them grow for now, but you may want to make sure your landlord is okay with what you want to do. Remember that leaves produce the food for the tree so more, especially if the tree has been stressed, is likely a good thing. The worst-case scenario is that it's a 'last gasp' of the tree before it dies. I'd be more concerned about the black walnut as it is allelopathic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allelopathy