Hello, I'm doing research on how to maximize the "shelf" life...

Hello, I'm doing research on how to maximize the "shelf" life during transportation of fruits and vegetables. I'm looking for experts on what causes fruits and vegetables to ripen quickly or what slows down this process. Can you help point me in the right direction? Thanks Todd Nye 513-349-4325 toddnye@webcustodians.com

Ohio

Hi:

The factors influencing the ripening of crops depend on different variables like microbial presence and growth/location/climate/temperature/kind of crop/and others. Thru history man has tried to extend the shelf life of food commodities via the use of antimicrobial treatments/ refrigeration/freezing/shipping fruits and vegetables fully grown but still in their "green" or unripened state/treatments with certain gases and chemicals/radiation/covering fruits and vegetables with a thin layer of wax/vacuum packing/etc... The process used will be to an extent dependent on the particular commodity and its physical and chemical characteristics.

Most recently the US Army/US Department of Defense (DoD) requested and financed a study to extend the shelf life of vegetable crops in order to be able to ship them to distant locations where the troops are so they can enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables when deployed, it is known as "Bluezone". I attached the link to that for your information. I or eXtension do not endorse or promote that site as is only provided for information only:

:http://www.bluezone-technology.com/pdf/science/BluezoneDemonstrationTestReport.pdf

Hope this is helpful. Thank you for using eXtension.