Mayten tree

My mature 25 year old mayten tree is experiencing signs of dying. 30% of the tree has lost all leaves and branches seem brittle and dying. This has been going on slowly for 4 years. Mushrooms have grown at base of trunk which is another sign of a dying tree. I have fertilized and watered deeply in warm weather once a week. Is this some kind of disease? I’ve read the life span is 50 to 150 years so it it is relatively young. Any suggestion on what I can do to save my beautiful Mayten?

Placer County California

Here’s some general information on the care of Mayten trees:

Watering: 15-20 gallons per week for the first 2 years; 15-20 gallons twice a month for the 3rd year; as needed after 3 years (varies by soil, sun, and wind conditions).

Maintenance: Early pruning needed to train to desired shape; pruning needed less frequently with age. Removal of root suckers. Sidewalk clean-up during seed capsule drop.

Tolerance: Drought (once established), any soil, fog.

Special Considerations: Prefers sun and space. Needs good drainage. Does not tolerate strong or gusty winds. Can be susceptible to aphids during bloom.

Also, Mayten tends to be invasive – do you see any suckers or small trees at the base of the large tree? The suckers and small trees compete with the main tree for nutrients.

You can also contact the Placer County Master Gardeners directly. (http://pcmg.ucanr.org/Got_Questions/)

1. You can call the Master Gardener Hotline at 530-889-7388 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to Noon to speak to a Master Gardener.

1. You can go in-person to the Placer County Master Gardener Office (11477 E Avenue in the DeWitt Center in Auburn, CA 95603). Master Gardeners are on site Tuesday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to Noon. You can bring in pictures or leaves Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

I wish you the best!