What causes my carrots to look like thin pencils?

What causes my carrots to look like thin pencils? They have beautiful long green tops above ground and were planted in zone 8 on 2/4/18. Iā€™m a new gardener using a raised bed garden: 4ā€™ x 4ā€™ x 15ā€ high and a.m. using square foot gardening method. I use Garden Tone Organic Fertilizer with Miracle Gro Garden Soil and Watered once about a month ago using 2 tablespoons of Epsom Salt in 1 gallon of water. I would greatly appreciate your advice/expertise to troubleshoot my problem. Thank you.

Tarrant County Texas

Its hard to say exactly without seeing your operation and looking at all the variables? The first 3-5 weeks of growth its important to not overwater so the roots will stretch out deeply. Afterwards one to two times a week should be good. We generally try to plant early enough that we have 90+ days before the temp gets into the mid 80"s? Not knowing what variety of carrot your planting makes it difficult to trouble shoot as well? Hope these points helped a bit?

Thank you for your reply back. I have a raised bed garden: 4' x 4' x 15' high and am using square foot gardening process. I used Miracle Gro Garden Soil to fill the raised be. I fertilize using Garden Tone Organic Fertilizer and watered about 3-4 weeks ago with 2 tablespoons of Epsom Salt in a gallon of water. It seems to really make the carrots grow at least above ground. I planted Danvers Half Long Carrot Seed.

I do appreciate your suggestions and am providing the additional details in hopes it may give you a better idea of what may have gone wrong. We did have a very cold March and April here in North Texas this Spring.

about the only other possible reason would be if they were to close together aand you didn't then them when they first emerged? They should be at least 3-4 inches apart?