Weigela and Ivory Halo Dogwood Keep Dying

Hi, I've planted weigela and ivory halo dogwood about 3' from a light beige metal building on the W side in a light beige colored rock bed two years in a row. The plants have done very well through the summer with trickle hose watering every two or three days and usually grew double in size. But they don't survive the winter. The soil is mostly black/brown dirt with much of the rock removed around the root system so they have plenty of room to expand. Since they are close to the building, they don't receive direct sunlight until about noon and beyond. I have a similar setup in front of another building but those plants have survived the winter for two years. The only difference is that they are 10' from the building and get sun around 10am. I have the rock raked away from the base of these plants about 1' in diameter. Are there other plants that look similar to these that would be able to thrive in those conditions? Someone suggested cool splash and kodiak red honeysuckle. Any recommendations? I also have arborvitae and burning bush in the same location and they are doing great. Steve O.

Hennepin County Minnesota diagnosis of plant problems dogwoods weigela horticulture

The sun/heat might be too intense at the location you have described for the weigela and dogwoods. If you are certain the planting sites are virtually identical, consider filling the space with more arborvitae and burning bush.

Although their appearance and form are unlike weigela and dogwood, shrubs such as spirea, potentilla and non-fruiting barberry varieties might perform well in that location.