Native Minnesota Plants for Container Gardens

I'm starting a bunch of small containers on my deck this spring, and was wondering if you could recommend some native Minnesota plants that might work well in anything from a small pot to a 22" barrel. I'm really looking for color, but anything that looks alive would be great! I considered just buying a Minnesota wildflower seed mix and trying that, but thought I'd ask. Thanks! Adam

Ramsey County Minnesota container gardening native plants horticulture

Planting colorful native plants in planters will be challenging. We usually plant annuals in planters, because we want color throughout the growing season. Perennials usually flower only for a short period. But annuals, almost by definition, are not native. They are plants that live and die in a single season, so they can't be established in the landscape.

That said, some plants that might work: columbine, aster, black-eyed susan, poppy, Jacob's ladder, wild geranium, purple coneflower, coreopsis. You will have to mix and pair so that something is always in bloom. Check this site:
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advi...