I have a bat that has taken up residence in the evenings in the corner of the...

I have a bat that has taken up residence in the evenings in the corner of the ceiling of my covered patio. There are bat droppings every morning and I have a dog that may come into contact with it. What can I do to discourage it from coming back?

Warren County Ohio

The bat is likely using your patio as a resting place in between periods of night-time feeding. Your best bet will be to exclude the bat from the area it is roosting in. Use netting, cardboard, or Styrofoam to block off the corner. Realize this may encourage the bat to find another corner, and so you may have to exclude that corner, too. You could also try using lights to light up the corners. In the meantime, feel free to dump the guano (bat droppings) into your flowerbed as it is very high in nitrogen and realize there are a lot less bugs in your backyard courtesy of your little bat. =)
I would also recommend making sure your dog is up to date on it's rabies vaccination. The prevalence of rabies in bats is low (less than 1% of bats have rabies), but it's better to be safe than sorry. I hope this helps, and feel free to contact me again if you have more questions!