Boxwood Problem

We have six boxwoods in front of our house. They are about 25 years old. Within the past week, I noticed that they all have a white powdery substance on them. If I shake a branch powdery granules fall to the ground. I have attached pictures. Can you tell me what this is and how do I treat it. Thank you.

Montgomery County Maryland

This looks like the boxwood psyllid. This is more of a spring pest and will not hurt the plant. You do not have to control it. Here is more on our website. http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/boxwood-psyllid-shrubs

I am a little confused since your comment indicated that the condition did not need to be treated and would take care of itself. When I looked at the link you included, it discussed a couple of products to use on the problem. So, do I do nothing or use the products.

It's really up to you. If you find the look of the plant tolerable, then you don't need to do anything at all. If you think the infestation unsightly, you can use insecticidal soap or horticultural oil now, as indicated on our web page. There is only one generation of this insect per year, so it will not be a persistent problem throughout the growing season.

ckc