Bald Spots in my front yard

My front yard (faces south) and has a very large "bald spot." I do not know what type of grass it is, but I would appreciate some guidance on how to cure this spot. Should I plant new sod there, seed it, or something else entirely? There are also some weeds taking over- but I do not want to spray or use pesticides/chemicals. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

District of Columbia County District of Columbia lawns and turf lawn bare spots lawn repair

If you want to fill this spot in now, you will need to lay sod. It is too late to seed. The weather will be becoming too hot and dry for seeding. Seeding is best done in late summer/early fall or before the end of April. From your photos, it looks like you have tall fescue grass, which is the best type grass for this area. It is possible to find tall fescue sod. If you do not want to use an herbicide the weeds will have to be hand pulled.

dr