honeysuckle

Last year I planted two honeysuckle plants, Major Wheeler and John Clayton/Coral, and they both are doing well, in fact, better than I expected. I put up lattice about 4 ft high for them to grow on, but this spring they are sprouting well above that. My question is whether I should 1) tie the vertical shoots down to the lattice to encourage more lateral growth, 2) add some sort of support above the lattice so they can continue to grow upwards, or 3) snip off the vertical growth above the lattice with the hope lower buds pop out and grow laterally.

Harford County Maryland

Honeysuckle vines can grow to 6-10 feet or more. If you want the vine to appear thicker you can tie the shoots to the existing lattice. Or as you mentioned you can add more support so they can continue to grow upwards. There really is no right or wrong as honeysuckles are easy to care for. As for the third option you mention, you can snip off some of the vertical growth after flowering is done for the season to see if this gives you your desired result. Regular pruning is not necessary but can be done to shape the vine as needed.

dr