This is a medical question. About 12 years ago, I was diagnosed with...

This is a medical question. About 12 years ago, I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease in my left ear. First Dr. Wm. Turner inserted a shunt to drain excess fluid from the inner ear. That seemed to work, as the frequency of episodes decreased dramatically. However, in Oct. 2016, I woke up one morning COMPLETELY DEAF. I had not done anything differently (no accidents, etc.) to warrant that. Besides not being able to hear, I have had constant sounds playing in my head ever since. It becomes worse at about 3:30 pm each day. I have musical sounds going in the left part of my head, and sounds like an announcer and a noisy crowd in the right side (I refer to it as Mel Allen and the old-time Yankees fans {as I lived for several years in the NY metro area}. While Dr. Turner used steroid injections and shots to restore about 50% of the hearing in my right ear, he did a cochlear implant in the left. I still cannot hear clearly on the left side, but he said that that takes time (surgery was Jan 2017). Does anyone have any experience with successfully treating such an anomaly (the continual music and 'organized sounds'), or am I destined to be basically deaf and continually aggravated by music and organized sounds for the rest of my life? Before he did the cochlear surgery, Dr. Turner had an MRI of my head and neck done; he said everything was normal, and he was baffled by the "music" and the "recognizable noises," as neither fit the diagnosis of tinnitus.

Montgomery County Ohio

Thank you for your question for eXtension. The topic area in which you've made a request is along the medical line and therefore we cannot provide you an answer. Instead, please consider contacting your local Health Department or health care professionals. We apologize that we can't help you with this type of information, but please come back to eXtension with your agricultural, food and environmental questions.