Drain or sewer flies

Asked May 4, 2018, 10:35 AM EDT

We have an infestation in our home and every Spring/Summer it gets bad again. Do you have a list of experts we can call. We have tried clearing drains with drain gels, keep drains covered, etc., but we think they're now coming up from the floor and/or walls and vents. Unfortunately, we live in a town home and believe the problem started 2 years ago with a neighbor who never reported it or controlled it. They simply sold their house and told us just before they were moving. However, I found an article online where back in 2016, there was a sewage leak in the area and I remember that's when we started seeing them. We need an expert please to come out and assess. We may need to contact the water company responsible for the leak. We've lived here since 2000 and did not have a problem until 2016. We have children and don't want to have to move because of this problem. What can we do? Please help.

Prince George's County Maryland

3 Responses

We would like to see photos of these flies. There are many flies that appear in homes year after year, such as cluster flies.
Please look over this fact sheet: http://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/not_update...

Our entomologist can identify the species of flies and then we can give you exact help.


Here are pictures. We’ve enlarged them. The flies are very small and fly wildly. Found in Kitchen and bathroom directly above it. Wondering if we need to change all pipes, fixtures and sinks at this point

We had our entomologist look at your photos. It is possible that it is a drain fly. https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/drain-flies She said to have your pipes checked by a plumber to look for leaks. If no leaks are found, you can contact a pest control company.