Raised planters

How many drainage holes need to be drilled at the bottom of antique washtubs, or aluminum water troughs? Should I put peat moss on the bottom or stones in addition to the holes? Should I put used plastic water bottles to help airate the dirt I purchased a raised cedar box that has slat boards perdincular to the frame. Is it necessary to use peat moss or small peoples on the bottom before adding the dirt?

Rice County Minnesota container gardening horticulture

Hi, I’ll start with the last question first: you don’t need to put anything at the bottom of the cedar planter. As to the number of holes for the bottom of a container, that depends on the size of the container. If I had a 5 gallon container, I would put 5 or 6 holes about the size of a pinky finger. You can add pebbles or broken pieces of clay pot at the bottom as well. If I understand your question about adding plastic water bottles to the soil, I would sat don’t add them. Here is some information about container gardening from the U: https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/master-gardener/volunteers/teaching-tools/container-gardening.ppt