Little house flies

Hi, With the arrival of spring I have significant numbers of little house flies flying erratically on the South facing side of our home where our porch is. Our immediate neighbor has chickens. I've read what I can online, but do you have any suggestions for how to reduce their numbers? They just sifted and spread their compost which may have added to the situation. I really like my neighbors so I don't want to complain and they seem to keep the coop clean. Also, we have awful vinyl siding that has turned the same side of our home to a European Wasp nest. They aren't overly aggressive, but suggestions to keep their numbers down would be most welcome! I considered a bug zapper, but I don't want to kill beneficial insects. Thanks for any advice you can offer on either issue.

Larimer County Colorado household pests pests flies indoor pests house flies indoor flies

Thanks for your question!

Insect presence increases as the spring weather rolls in, as you indicated. Many insects concentrate around the warmer (South or West facing sides of your home).
If these flies are inside your home, you will need to get rid of them (you can vacuum them up, or use a fly swatter and then sweep them out). In addition, you need to make sure that any food sources (trash, compost, food debris) in the house are properly contained. Eliminating food sources will help control these flies.

If they are on the outside, you will need to prevent them from getting into your house. You can do this by making sure that all your window screens, door sweeps, and caulking are intact- leaving no way for any of these flies to get in.

For more information on house flies:
http://extension.colostate.edu/docs/pubs/insect/05502.pdf

For the wasp nest on your siding, I would recommend removal (depending on the proximity to your daily activities). Some paper wasps can be aggressive, and you can reduce these unpleasant interactions by removing the source. You can do this with the use of a wasp spray (with a long range). Make sure that you protect yourself, and never use ladders near stinging insects. Follow the product label directions carefully- and if you do not feel comfortable taking care of this on your own, please contact a licensed pest control professional.

For more information on paper wasps: http://extension.colostate.edu/docs/pubs/insect/05611.pdf