beef cow poisoned

Asked May 1, 2018, 10:44 AM EDT

Hello, we have a steer who ate some of an english laurel plant that our neighbors had tossed over the fence. For the first 24 hrs, he was a bit shaky and not acting right at all. By yesterday, Monday, he seems to be doing well, walking well, and both eating and drinking. The laurel plants, we read, are highly poisonous with cyanide. He is scheduled for slaughter probably the first part of September, a little over four months from now. Our question: should we be at all concerned about the safety of the meat?

Clackamas County Oregon

1 Response

I will have to look up the toxicity information in a reference book but I will not be able to do that until later in the week. Any idea of amount ingested?

If you provide an email address I can relay the information directly. My email address is gene.pirelli@oregonstate.edu