Up north oak tree planting

I am planting 2’ saplings of both Burr & Red Oak in mesick Michigan. The soil drains easily where very few puddles remain after a storm. I plan to mix peat in the soil and some water saving granule’s when I plant the trees (40). What is the best way to position the soil around the tree to both protect it and help gather water for the tree’s?

Wexford County Michigan

Thank you for your question. When planting a tree, it's important to be sure the sapling is planted only to the root collar. Smooth the surface of the soil to be level with the root collar. If you mulch around the stem, be sure to pull back the mulch 2 inches from the stem to avoid rot in the bark that can occur if you bank the mulch up around the main stem.
The soil amendments you mention are all good. you may also need to water the trees during the first year if we have a long spell without rain. The mulch will also help the soil retain water for a longer period of time.
Basically, you want to help them establish this first year so that they can continue to grow into the future naturally, without much help.
If you have any follow up questions, please feel free to respond to this message and we'll help ensure your trees thrive into the future!
Thank you,
Julie