Wax myrtle recommendation

I was walking near the National Gallery of Art and passed a garden that displayed plants which attracted birds. One of these plants was the wax myrtle. I'm particularly fond of the Northern Mockingbird and I understand they are attracted to wax myrtle berries. I have two questions: 1. Can you recommend any varieties that are 4-5' tall, and no more than 4' wide? 2. Do these varieties require a male plant to produce berries? The spot I am considering is sunny and moist. Thank you for your help.

Montgomery County Maryland birds wildlife shrubs plant selection

There are some cultivars of wax myrtle (Myrica or Morella cerifera) that are shorter than the straight species. Look for 'Fairfax' (4-5'), 'Luray' (4'), or 'Tom's Dwarf' (3-6'). Myrica can be monoecious or dioecious. Plants in the nursery industry are often selected for monoecious character (that is, separate male and female flowers occur on the same plant), so that separate male and female plants (in dioecious selections) are not required for landscape plantings.

Since you are interested in plants for birds, we thought you might like to know about the Audubon Society's website. They have a nice searchable database to help select plants for specific species of birds. Here is a link to the site: http://www.audubon.org/plantsforbirds

ckc