Winter burn on barberry shrub

Hello, Attached is a photo of a shrub we transplanted to the southeast corner of our house, a couple of years ago. I didn't purchase the shrub but I think it's a barberry or boxwood(?). It was thriving on the southwest corner of our house before we moved it. This past winter, the leaves on over half of it turned a straw color and come off when touched. It looks like winter burn to me but since our neighbors lost a huge pine tree that was partially shading it, last fall, I'm wondering if it could be too much direct sun. However, I thought it was a full sun shrub. Is winter burn common for this species? From what I've read, since over 50% of the shrub has dead leaves, it's not salvageable, even if we move it to a more protected spot. Is this the case? Thanks so much for your help with this. Rockie Weymouth

Ramsey County Minnesota winter damage barberry bushes horticulture

It is hard to tell from the photo but if the leaves stayed on all winter, it probably is a boxwood. Barberries lose their leaves. It seems to be a very bad case of winter burn.
It needed to be well watered until the ground froze and the change in sunlight was too great a change. As a newly moved shrub, it did not have a change to settle in before the season changed. I would remove it and put in something more appropriate.