Bridge grafting

Hi there Please help me save a 200-year-old walnut tree. I’ve sent some photos of my attempts so far at bridge grafting the walnut tree. I’ve been reading extensively on the subject and found the best information so far from you folks. I would appreciate any help. I was thinking of doing some vertical grafts to speed up the process of covering this crown cavity. I’m not sure on how to do it. I was thinking of buying some small tree seedlings with a good root base—maybe three—and graft them over the cavity. I would welcome any information and if it’s possible have somebody from your department come out and help me do the procedure. I would expect there would be some form of payment. Let me know, but I do want to save this tree. Another question: to protect the exposed heartwood, should I apply toilet ring wax on the surface? I’m running a fan on the entire area to dry it out and plan to build a temporary clear plastic shelter to keep out the rain. Sincerely Joe Stafford My phone number is 612-747-7777

Ramsey County Minnesota grafting horticulture walnut tree

Do not apply anything to the tree. You would just be sealing in moisture and not allowing the tree to breath. I strongly recommend that you have a Certified Arborist make a home visit and diagnosis. I cannot tell from the photo but if it is heartwood rot, the tree cannot be saved. Only an onsite exam by an expert will be able to tell. You can find a Certified Arborist by visiting their website and clicking on
Find An Arborist. You can put in your zip code to find someone near you. http://www.treesaregood.org/