Hydrangia

I have had three Hydrangias planned in my garden for almost 10 years and they have never bloomed. What do I need to do to get them to bloom? I left the stems from last year, should this be cut back here in the spring? Please advise. Thanks!

Howard County Maryland hydrangea no bloom shrub

There are several species of hydrangeas. You will have to identify the type you are referring to. Some reasons for no bloom include improper pruning, cold damage which kills flower buds but often not leaf buds so you have a living plant with lush foliage but no flowers, (site may be more susceptible to cold), and too much nitrogen fertilizer.
If you have Hydrangea macrophylla, bigleaf hydrangea, the most common type, this can be susceptible to cold damage.

Some of the newer cultivars like “Endless Summer” bloom on both old and new wood, so if winter damaged, you may have summer blooms. You may want to look for this type of hydrangea.

Look at the hydrangea link for information on types of hydrangeas and pruning.
http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/faqs-shrubs-fallwinter#backyard