No leaves of Copper Beech tree

Hi, I have a copper beech (around 100 years old) in my garden in Wilmslow, Cheshire where these trees are everywhere. All the other trees in the neighbourhood have now in full leaf but mine has none. Is it dead? Thanks for any advice

Outside United States trees and shrubs copper beech

Thank you for contacting us. Your tree is approximately "middle-aged" as copper beeches grow.

There are a number of reasons that a tree may not leaf-out in spring, but these are nearly impossible to diagnose even with photos. Has the tree been healthy in recent years? Are there any signs of damage to the trunk of the tree?

The most likely reason for a tree not to leaf-out is that it suffered an extreme cold this winter. This may have killed the leaf buds, but not necessarily the tree. If the weather was the cause of your problem, it may just take longer for the auxiliary buds to develop and leaf out. Micro-climates in your yard can cause your tree to develop differently than other trees nearby.

If possible, I suggest you closely inspect the tree for signs of life. Open a few buds: Are they brown inside, or do they have some healthy tissue? Then scrape the outer bark off a portion of one or two branches. Do you see some green under the bark? If so, the branch is alive. If it is dry and brown, check a few more branches.

There are other possible causes including, but not limited to, root rot, root damage by root weevils, or stem girdling from insects. If you suspect a disease or insect problem, you should consult with a certified arborist.

Hi Lynne,
thank you so much for the speedy reply.
New did have an extremely cold period during the winter and some of my other shrubs were very damaged but thankfully they are showing signs of life. Fingers crossed it will spring back into life.
Thanks again,
Justin