Sorry, thx, but a nursery helped me with my design. Thank you anyway.

Hi...I am attaching photos of the front of my house. I was wondering if someone could come up with a design for me. Directly out my two kitchen windows I have a 14 w x 8 ft. depth. I was looking for some mixture of green with some color. I do like sedum and salvua. I wanted something low maintenance, bird friendly if possible, and deer resistant. There is also a 3 ft wide area that I would like maybe a small plant or evergreen for. Finally, I would like to plant something around my dogwood tree. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks you very much.ps: I am taking the ninebark back to the nursery I got it from as I heard it is too big for the front and I want a simple design.

Baltimore County Maryland landscaping plant selection perennials landscaping for birds low maintenance landscaping

While we do not do personal landscape plans, click here for help with your plant selections and strategy: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/trees-and-shrubs/plant-selection

One of the crucial factors in your plant selections will be how much sun the areas get. Be sure to select your plants based on their sunlight requirements. Read labels carefully for height--often they are only based on 10 year projections with annual pruning. Avoid planting foreign invasive plants like English ivy!

Bird friendly plants include those with berries and seeds but also consider that
any foliage, and especially evergreens, provide cover for birds.

We would not recommend using the landscape fabric covered with mulch. The mulch is organic--it decomposes and forms a rich organic layer on top of the landscape fabric. This is becomes a bed for weed seeds. Then you have a sandwich effect--soil--fabric--soil. The fabric interferes with the roots of what you plant and you may have to remove it, which is a labor intensive job.

Instead, we recommend that cover the bare soil with 2-3" of mulch. If you are concerned about weeds coming through, spread newspapers 3-4 deep and overlapping under the mulch. It will decompose in a year, but it will keep anything from coming through while your new plants are getting established.

Flower beds are high maintenance, though planting a few flowers among shrubs may be worth the effort if you particularly like them.
Dwarf spireas and abelia are plants that flower and are very low maintenance, but there are so many options, we'd suggest that you go to a good nursery near you, show them your photos and ask them to recommend plants for those specific spaces.