Diseased evergreen?

My neighbor has an old and scraggly looking evergreen. It is on our fence line so I notice it. The other day I looked at it and, in addition to it's thinning and dead-looking branches, has a vertical scar on the trunk that I don't remember seeing. I am wondering if this is a sign that the tree is diseased or bug infested and is in danger of falling over...potentially on my house. I have attached a couple of photos. Thanks! Jim Tade

Hennepin County Minnesota evergreens diagnosis of plant problems horticulture

The poor tree has been severely limbed up, it is probably being shaded out on one side and it has a large frost crack. An arborist would need to diagnose the likely hood of it falling down or failing in a strong wind. The metro has had more severe wind events in the last decade so it is something to consider. I am sorry I cannot give you a yes or no answer from a photo.

Thanks Evelyn. Yes, I don’t know why they trimmed the tree that way. This tree has had limbs slowly dying over the years so I guess it won’t be long for this world.

The poor tree does not have enough needles to make the food it needs to survive.