Seeds from ornamental cabbage

I have three ornamental cabbage plants that made it through the winter and now yellow flowers are blooming from the center plant stem. Is it possible to get seed from these flowers and if so how does one go about collecting the seed? I would love to plant them for fall use.

Anne Arundel County Maryland

Wait until you see the seed pods starting to turn brown. Then you can cut the whole stalks of pods and lay them out on newspaper in a dry place so that the pods dry out completely. The key is to let the pods mature as much as possible on the plant before they break open (and before birds get into them). Then keep them dry. You'll see that the dry pods split open easily to reveal the seeds. Your ornamental cabbages are probably cultivars and the new plants you grow may not "come true" or match the parent plant exactly, but certainly, you can use them.

ckc